Sunday, April 10, 2011

Thank Goodness it's Spring-Oh Sh%t.

It's looking like I may have spent most of my time since Thanksgiving eating my way through winter. Eating five Christmas cookies while drinking coffee with half and half results in Lisa getting larger. But since everyone looks like a bear during Jan/Feb with the fleece and the Kevlar or whatever they make those puffy coats out of I really hadn't noticed that my "fat jeans" felt like the skinny jeans and the skinny jeans felt like what those divers wear to go underwater for whatever reason.
And now it's spring here in KC. Spring with stupid 85 degree weather so we rejoice and put on...shorts?? Tank tops? Filmy blouses with little cap sleeves?
Well, dammit. No more indulging in cookies, french fries, cheese on everything including cheese, pasta servings like Marines might eat or pizza for breakfast.
Now before you call for the Lifetime intervention I do eat sensibly, I can still touch my toes and make minimal noise when I get up from the sofa. But I do love me some scones and butter.
So I'm back to not eating everything that walks by, portion control helps a ton, and I'm excited to go back to eating what I manage to grow in my garden (pots this year, read the earlier post on my 2010 garden disaster) or buy at the farmer's markets. And I've decided to include the odd recipe here and there that I like so here's the couscous salad I make about every week in the summer:

Couscous Salad-so nice they named it twice.

Instant plain couscous-about a cup. Follow box directions but add a few shakes curry powder and cumin to the water before it boils.
Chopped parsley-roughly a half cup.
Feta cheese-again just eyeball it, maybe another half cup
Kalamata olives chopped-you guessed it-half cup
One chopped red, yellow or orange pepper (make sure your credit is good they cost about $1000 these days)
Another half cup or so of toasted pine nuts or toasted walnuts.
Fresh lemon juice from 1/4 lemon

After couscous has cooked fluff with a fork and put in a bowl to chill in the fridge for a couple of hours.
Add remaining ingredients after it cools. Salt/pepper to taste-I use the grinders for both, can't beat the taste. Might need a bit more curry/cumin. I just keep adding stuff until I like it.

As my herb garden progresses I might add mint or basil in lieu of parsley or garbanzo beans or once in a while some red onion. Just go with what moves you. I had some saffron this time and threw that in for a little sparkle.

Hope you like it.